Creativity Australia is building a happier, healthier, more inclusive nation through the life-changing With One Voice program. We bridge the gap between people experiencing disadvantage and those more fortunate through the neuro-scientific benefits of community singing. We build supportive networks that help people connect to brighter futures.
We bring the fortunate and marginalised together as ONE community to reduce inequality. We use the incredible neuro-scientific benefits of group singing and empower people to care for one another and solve problems locally. But there are still hundreds of thousands of Australians who are lonely and socially isolated.
Loneliness, and the depression which accompanies it, is the global epidemic of our era. Statistics show that 2 in 5 people feel socially isolated and unheard. This isolation leads to serious mental and physical health issues and great economic disadvantage.
Together, we can change the world… one voice at a time.
Creativity Australia is a charity founded in 2008 by award-winning social entrepreneur and soprano Tania de Jong AM.
Tania de Jong’s TED talk ‘How Singing Together Changes The Brain’, has been viewed over 110,000 times. With One Voice programs are now being replicated around Australia and the world through our unique social franchise model.
With One Voice Program
Creativity Australia’s With One Voice program operates in Victoria, New South Wales, ACT, SA, WA, Tasmania and Queensland. The inclusive community choirs unite hundreds of people aged 9 to 90, from all faiths and all walks of life: migrants, people with disabilities, job seekers, executives, seniors, students, refugees, asylum seekers and more.
View member stories.
Why we sing
With One Voice choirs are led by professional conductors and meet weekly, followed by supper. View choir locations. Through the Wish List, participants grant one another wishes big and small: such as free music lessons, language and computer tuition, assistance with resumes, mentors and finding jobs. The choirs help people connect to whatever they need in life: friends, mentors, wellbeing, self-esteem, networks, skills and employment. Over 4200 wishes have been granted so far! Please be inspired by a short 3 minute video
Neuroscience proves singing makes people happier, healthier, smarter and more creative and increases neuroplasticity. Music and singing have no barriers of language, background or politics. Unlike sport, music is non-competitive – the participants are working together to create something greater than themselves as individuals – and the results are transformative. The choirs transcend borders every week, and in public through regular performances.
When we come together to create harmony, participants feel they are together, not different. There is no more us and them, only us.
Through uniting more and more communities in song nationwide, Creativity Australia aims to create positive outcomes for people experiencing mental illness, loneliness, social isolation, disability, disadvantage, unemployment and homelessness.
Our innovative model is ground-breaking in the social innovation/welfare space, as it brings the fortunate and the marginalised together as ONE community to reduce inequality and create a sense of ‘WE’ rather than the current ‘us and them’ environment, giving many people a voice and sense of belonging…
Our impact and what we have achieved
Creativity Australia won the 2016 Melbourne Award for Contribution to Community by a Community Organisation and been named in the Anthill Smart 100 Innovations for the past 5 years.
- With One Voice has delivered programs for 10,000+ participants through 50+ social inclusion choirs since 2008.
- We have developed a volunteer program and trained hundreds of volunteers to run the programs locally.
- The With One Voice choirs have collectively presented over 1500 inspiring performances sharing songs and stories of hope, inclusion and friendship.
- Through the programs and the Wish List we have enabled hundreds of work experience, skills, mentoring & employment opportunities and connections to health and social services.
- 4200+ wishes have been granted through the Wish List program (since 2013).
- We have developed a suite of With One Voice “how-to” guide videos, resources and mentoring for individuals, groups and communities looking to start new, inclusive With One Voice choirs using our innovative social franchise model.
- There is significant interest to commence new programs with over 280 applications for Start-Up grants from around Australia.
- We have funded commencement of 20 programs through our Social Franchise since 2017.
- We have commenced a Conductor Development Program.
Our social impact goal
Creativity Australia’s social impact goal is to help break down the traditional silos of the social welfare sector, building cohesive communities that include and support one another, rather than relying on ‘top-down’ services. Thus, we mobilise and multiply community change-makers far beyond the capacity of our organisation: diverse people who will pay it forward and help address the deep issues that impact our society. Your support is critical to the future of the With One Voice program.
Here are some of the testimonials from our participants to further illustrate the impact of these life-changing programs.